When bone has been lost from the upper jaw as a result of extraction of molars or other teeth, or because of gum disease, sinus augmentation surgery may provide a solution for rebuilding the jawline so that dental implants can be inserted. Dental implants are useful for replacing missing teeth, but when bone is lost, it’s not always possible to use them until the bone is somehow replaced.
If you’re suffering from this problem, you may want to learn more about sinus augmentation in Brooklyn, New York. Replacing lost bone and then inserting implants can preserve the shape of your jaw and the integrity of the rest of your teeth, as well as your general dental health. LuxDen Dental Center in Brooklyn, New York can answer any questions you may have about sinus augmentation dental surgery.
Sinus Lift Surgery for Dental Implants
There are times when dental implants may be needed in the area in back of the upper jaw, where molars are located and may need to be removed. However, that area is near the maxillary sinuses, and may also have less bone than other parts of the jaw due to tooth extraction or gum disease. This makes it difficult to place a dental implant.
In cases like this, sinus lift surgery may be a great option. In this type of surgery, which is performed by a periodontist, a portion of the sinus floor is raised, and then the space that is created is filled with bone graft material.
This graft material regenerates bone and surrounding tissue. The graft can come from your own body, can be synthetic, or can come from bovine (cow) bone, which has been shown to be very successful. After this procedure, it will take about four to nine months for healing until the dental implant can be placed.
Sinus Lift Surgery Recovery
After sinus lift surgery, following our periodontist’s instructions is very important:
- You’ll be asked to bite down and keep pressure on the gauze applied to the surgical area for 30 minutes after the procedure.
- You must not blow your nose for at least four weeks or so, but you may gently sniff to clear your nose when needed.
- Take any antibiotics and decongestants as prescribed to prevent infection.
- Take pain medications as prescribed.
- For about 72 hours, don’t rinse or spit, because you want to avoid disrupting the blood clot that is forming around the surgical area.
- Don’t smoke or drink with a straw, and do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Some swelling, bruising, and discoloration is normal, and you can apply an ice pack to the jaw.
- Don’t brush the teeth for 48 hours after the procedure, and then you can brush gently.
Call LuxDen Dental Center in Brooklyn, New York for any complications or problems.
Call to Schedule an Appointment with a Sinus Augmentation Dental Surgeon in Brooklyn, New York Today
If you need to find a solution for a receding jaw or bone loss, call to schedule an appointment with a sinus augmentation dental surgeon in Brooklyn today. LuxDen Dental Center in Brooklyn, New York offers a full range of dental and periodontal surgery options that can be done in the comfort of our modern, well-equipped office. Call us at 718-382-3444 and let our team of professionals improve your dental health and well-being.